Find the proper salutation to end your letter with our examples and advice. Salutations to conclude a letter abound. Better to keep it simple by avoiding the confused expressions or style errors.
The salutation is not the determining factor of a mail. It is therefore, most of the time, a formality on which there is little said ... if few know the rules in advance to avoid formula errors.
I am asking you to agree
The list of expressions that follow are the standard polite phrases most often used to finish a letter.
- Please accept, Dear Sincerely;
- Yours sincerely, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration;
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, the expression of my highest consideration;
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, the assurance of my highest consideration;
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, my respectful (or "my sincere") Greetings;
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, the assurance of my highest.
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, my highest consideration.
- Please accept, Madam, Sir, my respectful homage.
When a woman is for a man or vice versa, it is advisable to use a formula other than that featuring the phrase "my feelings".
The advice of Eric Roig, founding director of droit-finances.net
Pending your response
If you send a letter of application and you expect a response or agreement of the caller, you can opt for one of the following courtesies.
- Pending your response, please accept, Madam, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.
- In anticipation of your agreement, please accept, Madam, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.
- Hoping for a quick response from you, please accept, Madam, Sir, the assurances of my highest consideration.
To better protect your rights,
Stay informed with free droit-finances.net Letter
If you wish to apply for a job interview request through a letter of application for a job, you can include this wish in your formula. For example you can opt for a formula like Holding me at your disposal for an upcoming interview, I ask you to accept ...
If you know the identity of the caller, do not put that "Mrs" or "Mr.", but not "Mr. Dupont" or "Mrs. Durand". Likewise, do not put "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam"Which are expressions reserved for relatives or commercial companies when they speak to their customers.
You should always write Mr. or Mrs with a capital letter.
Abbreviated, Mr. writes Mr. and no Mr (Common mistake).
You can also designate the recipient of its function. Examples: Master for a lawyer or notary, Doctor for a doctor.
If you are talking to a "personality" (Mayor, Reeve, Principal, prosecutor, judge, etc.), you can use this formula:
- Please accept, Mr. ..., the expression of my highest consideration.
- Pending your response, please accept, Mr. ..., the expression of my respectful feelings.
If you are writing an email or an informal letter, you can opt for shorter forms of politeness. The choice of formula depends on the identity of your recipient (office colleague, customer, supplier, friend, etc.).
If the person to whom you are speaking is not near but an acquaintance, better opt for the type of formulas Sincerely, cordially, Greetings, etc. If you talk to a loved one, you can use type formulas friendly, friendships or good to you.
When writing an email, be preferred rather a quick formula is concise. In practice, the most widely used expression "cordially"Including when sending mails grouped. You can also use a little more formal terms as the expression "best regard". If you are particularly close to your destination, you can still opt for type expressions "Sincerely" or "See you soon".
If you are looking for a job, you must end your letter with a salutation. The terms mentioned above can thus be used when writing an application letter. However, some errors must be avoided, and see our tips for writing a cover letter.
If you need to write a letter in English, obviously not trying to literally translate into French above formulas! However, you can specifically use one of the following formulas:
- Yours faithfully (If you did not mention recipient's name);
- Sincerely Yours (If you mentioned recipient's name).
For German salutation, for example you can opt for the expression mit freundlichen Grüßen which is the most commonly used formula.
For models and other tips for writing your mail, you can also view:
- Our tips for writing a cover letter;
- Over 250 letter templates available for free.
See as well
- on leparticulier.fr The choice of tu or vous at work
Download this article (PDF)
Posted by asevere. This document entitled "Forms of address - examples and advice" coming from Right-Finance (Droit-finances.commentcamarche.net) is subject to copyright.Any reproduction or total or partial representation of this site by any process whatsoever without express authorization is interdite.charger this article (PDF